Upcoming Events!

November 22nd - Thanksgiving
December 8th - Christmas Party!
December 18th - Dad's Birthday
December 25th - Christmas
December 18th - New Year's Eve

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Doc appt update

I just got back from the doctor about 15 mins ago. Now I am about to enjoy an episode of Ellen. :) I had an appointment with Mitch and then with Dr. Johnson right afterward so I just took the 2nd half of the day off. It also gave me about an hour in the afternoon to rest and unwind! (it's 4-ish now instead of 5-ish when I'd normally be getting home).

So, basically after I stopped doing hyperbaric I started on a new med, amoxicillin. They told me that for about a month after stopping hyperbaric treatment that I could still benefit from it. Within a few days of starting the amox, I got a reaction that could indicate lyme. As the bacteria dies off, it dies off at a fast rate and your body can't process it very fast. In turn, you can notice an intensification in your symptoms and that's exactly what happened to me. BUT, it only happened for about two weeks or so. I have a feeling it was the combination of the benefits of hyperbaric and the amoxicillin.

So, after meeting with Mitch and Dr. Johnson, this is what the new plan is! First they're going to take me off of clarithromycin and put me on I think Flagyl? Now I can't remember. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly why they're changing it but if they think it's the right move I'm fine with that. I think the amoxicillin is working well so I'm glad they didn't take me off of that. I think flagyl is just another antibiotic but I think it works a little bit differently. AND it can penetrate tissues and cells which is where the lyme bacteria (or "buggies" as I like to say) like to hide out sometimes. So it will probably be a good change.

They're also going to let me do hyperbaric for two weeks (maybe more if it's working, I hope!). I really, really hope that this finally going to be the "trick". :) Pray, pray, and pray some more that it'll work! I will do hyperbaric 5 days a week and then 3 days a week they're going to keep me there 20 mins longer and do something called light therapy. They'll do it on my hands first but if it works they'll do my feet, ankles, knees, etc. It basically is a localized treatment that blocks inflammation. So we'll see how that goes. He seems pretty excited about it.

He told me something else interesting. I asked him if I'd have to take my wedding and engagement rings off for the light therapy because basically, they're STUCK on my finger. He asked me if it was due to swelling and I told him I didn't think it was swelling - I've just gained a lot of weight since we got married 3 1/2 years ago. He told me that weight gain is something they often see in Lyme patients. (Whaaat??) I told him that I think a lot of it is due to me not doing much movement or exercise during the day because I tend to be really sore afterward (and my fatigue factors in, too). He told me that there might be a possiblity of an actual SLOW DOWN in my metabolism from the lyme. Another thought is that the toxins actually hang out in the fat cells which can cause the extra weight. Sometimes when people lose weight, as the fat cells shrink down the toxins are released and their symptoms can intensify. Pretty crazy!

So, I'm trying to be hopeful with the new stuff we'll be trying. I am really thankful that I get to go into the hyperbaric chamber for a weeks, too. I want this to work!

1 comment: